Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CURRENT ISSUE THREAD

+3
Rann Cora
unknown_user
DeathWarding
7 posters

Go down

CURRENT ISSUE THREAD Empty CURRENT ISSUE THREAD

Post  DeathWarding Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 am

I wanted to create this thread so that way we can keep the chatting in here as we await the fix too our issue...

Because of the Houdini Act that was pulled ( No Offence) We need to have a precautionary search for potential candidates who are able to HOST A.S.A.P

We know sexy cannot host for another 6 months, or so..

Until we hear from Undying on if hes going to go through with hosting/admin we MUST discuss/plan for another potential host.

So please feel free for anyone who is interested to opt for admin/host..... AS WELL as everyone's ideas/opinions here.

Let's get the ball rolling, post back everyone Smile

DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

CURRENT ISSUE THREAD Empty Re: CURRENT ISSUE THREAD

Post  unknown_user Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:35 am

We could always use a hosting service. I'm sure most of the people who AFK when they are not playing are earning some form of income... and let one (or more) of the current staff handle the admin of the account, or at least the module updater.

unknown_user

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:17 am

I've mentioned several times I could host, but it might mean running a game client at the same time. If I recall correctly, when the Wolfs ran the server years ago Balin sometimes logged in as a DM from the same machine he was hosting and I don't recall too many issues. It's something that we could try since UndyingKnight seems to be MIA. The downsides are: 1) possibly running a game client on the same machine as a server and any issues that might cause. 2) I work ~50 hours a week, which coupled with a decent night's sleep means if something goes wrong, more often than not I won't be around. 3) I do have a roommate, we do both have Xboxes and play them online, so that could eat some bandwidth from time to time. The upsides are, I've played one Anphillia or another since around 2004, I've hosted before (albeit briefly while the Wolfs were in charge), I've also DMed briefly (same time period), and I have a pretty powerful machine with a very stable internet connection. A upside to what I mentioned earlier about Xboxes and online and whatnot is that my timezone doesn't line up with most of you, so the server should have a fairly low amount of activity when that would be happening most of the time. But all in all, I'm definitely willing to give it a shot, I should be able to get everything set up pretty soon.

(Also in June I'll be moving, so while my machine won't change, my quality of internet could, and it would also mean a day or two downtime when I move.)

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:12 am

Rann Cora wrote:I've mentioned several times I could host, but it might mean running a game client at the same time. If I recall correctly, when the Wolfs ran the server years ago Balin sometimes logged in as a DM from the same machine he was hosting and I don't recall too many issues. It's something that we could try since UndyingKnight seems to be MIA. The downsides are: 1) possibly running a game client on the same machine as a server and any issues that might cause. 2) I work ~50 hours a week, which coupled with a decent night's sleep means if something goes wrong, more often than not I won't be around. 3) I do have a roommate, we do both have Xboxes and play them online, so that could eat some bandwidth from time to time. The upsides are, I've played one Anphillia or another since around 2004, I've hosted before (albeit briefly while the Wolfs were in charge), I've also DMed briefly (same time period), and I have a pretty powerful machine with a very stable internet connection. A upside to what I mentioned earlier about Xboxes and online and whatnot is that my timezone doesn't line up with most of you, so the server should have a fairly low amount of activity when that would be happening most of the time. But all in all, I'm definitely willing to give it a shot, I should be able to get everything set up pretty soon.

(Also in June I'll be moving, so while my machine won't change, my quality of internet could, and it would also mean a day or two downtime when I move.)

Great too know, and have. as you said since undying is MIA, we have to deal with whats at hand, and that's getting a playable server up? seems like it would be very do-able with Rann as a host.

Well id like other inputs on this topic too hmmm...
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempera Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Go for it Rann!!!! I miss playing Sad

Tempera

Back to top Go down

Post  unknown_user Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:58 pm

We should see what the crowd thinks but I am all for it too. Just hope it's not too stressful and our partying dies down - if you admin let the staff make big changes like the winter reversal (if that is happening, idrgaf). I bet Undying was overwhelmed with responsibility, falsely needed..!

unknown_user

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:35 pm

Someone make a poll for me as host. Also, someone find Felix so he can send me the mod.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 pm

So uhm, in the spirit of fun and something to do, I've been toying with getting everything set up and ready... currently I have loaded Moth's public release (so probably not really close to what we currently have) and set up Anphillia New Host Test as a server. I'm probably not going to stay awake much longer as I work tomorrow, but if anyone wants to log in, test how it goes, I'm leaving the DM client running while I sleep (on the same machine as the server) so you can test lag and whatnot and see how it goes. IP is 71.77.52.246:5121. I'll also toss you level 40 while I'm around and you can test build some things, even though it's pretty different from what we will have if this works out and I get the more updated module.

Let me know how it goes and if you encounter any issues!

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Skaldic Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:04 am

or maybe he was from Boston Shocked

Skaldic

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am

Skaldic wrote:or maybe he was from Boston Shocked

Nah, I am 50ish % sure I recall him mentioning being in pennsylvania..
but this would have been a convo over a year ago and my memory of non-game related stuff is a gamble -either way it doesn't matter why he's been offline since last wednesday... if he gets back and fixes his hosting capability before we manage to get someone else (Rann/Sexy [listed in order of availability]) to begin hosting then I'd be fore still letting him have an 'actual' trail run.

If he doesn't show around before a capable host gets set-up (said potential host being Rann as soon as the up to date module can get transphered), then I'm all for proceeding onward.

As for Rann's current test pre-newhost server with the original-ish module version.. the new 2da files would prevent caster builds right? Sad
TheeVals
TheeVals

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:06 am

I'm not entirely sure, I'm more concerned with making sure it isn't laggy. I'm going to leave it up with the DM client for a day or two then I'm going to log in with the player client and see what happens for a day or two. Hopefully a fair amount of people can get on and run around to test and report back any issues they may have.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:09 am

Let me restate that. What -really- needs to happen, is we need about 10 people online and we need to do assaults. That's when the lag is usually the worst. If anyone wants to volunteer, I'm about to go to work, but I'll be back a little after 8PM EST (GMT-5). Anyone that can be online then and we can have some quick arena style fun to test lag, that would be amazing.

Also it looks like -some- of the custom spells seem to work, again, it's the public release version so it's pretty old.

I'm pretty excited to get this going, but this is something that needs to be tested before we move forward, so any help and feedback if you run around at low level while I'm at work would be appreciated.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

okay, ill be logged on, ill check the screen now and then see if any one is active
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  unknown_user Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am

Sorry turns out I won't be home for a few days, wish I could help test.

unknown_user

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:52 am

So far, well only seen max like 5 ppl on, i was running smooth, I live in MI, GMT-5 EST. I been on all morning..
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm home if anyone wants to get on and try things.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 pm

awesome ty
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks for everyone that logged in and helped out even though we spent most of the time building characters rather than really testing, but it seemed to go well. I'm going to leave the server up as long as it will stay up, and I'm currently logged in as a player, so while I sleep/work until 8PM EST tomorrow, feel free to run around and leave tells to uh... Dram is the PC I'm leaving on there... and let me know how it goes.

It definitely so far looks like this is a workable solution for me to host and play on the same machine, at least for the time being. We'll give it a few more days, then if all goes well I can get the real mod and get everything set up and we can get to it for real!

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm around again for the next few hours if anyone wants to level something and run around testing it out.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tempera Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:53 pm

I need a IP? Anyone know why I can see all the servers???

Tempera

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:40 pm

The IP is the same as further up in the topic. I took it down for the day, my cpu needed some updates and no one was on when I went to work. Putting it back up now.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  akleja Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:06 am

all empty... Sad

akleja

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 am

akleja wrote:all empty... Sad

Don't worry, Read...