Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XP Loss - Why?

+10
Professor Plum
-Rabidus-
DarthKittyBoo
JakeMaster
Felix
Rugnarie
LordSurge
J. Persinne
TheeVals
Rhine Jive Click
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

XP Loss - Why? - Page 3 Empty Re: XP Loss - Why?

Post  Kombat Karl Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:25 pm

The only reason I say to lock or delete this thread is because -nothing- has come of it, and it is 4 pages long. It is becoming a bickering fest about something that really isn't very important. The xp/gold loss has been here since V1 Anphillia. No one likes to die and lose xp/gold but that is the consequence. You shouldn't reward someone for dying with a quest to do to come back to life. Doing this will encourage more solo'ing, because then they don't have to orb -ever-.

Alternate penalties of sitting in the fort with -6 to each stat for a bit still doesn't really equal the severity of death to me, especially in higher levels. At level 40 you lose around 8k xp from PvE and 4k xp at PVP. That doesn't sound like much but at level 40, to get any decent xp, you have to go to places with groups or be some sanc cleric that solo's Condors. So constant death at level 40 is still going to penalize them enough not to be crazy. Where as if they were to just get -6 stats for a period of time.. it would really effect nothing.

So the solution that I think works best is to leave it the way it is. Go out in groups, instead of solo'ing, and if that still isn't good enough, be like some people and just AFK for days on end, it's nearly impossible to lose xp if you never leave the gate.
Kombat Karl
Kombat Karl

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:11 am

The primary focus for a 40, will be PvP / RP. How is not being able to PvP for half an hour / 40 minutes not a penalty? As well as not gain any XP. Hell this system encourages roleplay!

You can get ~2k in 10 minutes, pretty easily by yourself - solo'ing xp at 40 most certainly doesn't require a group.
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  SnarleysAngel Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:36 am

Ok so...

as a result of this thread are we gonna get a perma death to recycle our chars or not??

cause if not I'm a bit pissed I had to read all these words that are a lotta yappin?... happy to see that vid though Very Happy

SnarleysAngel

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:20 am

This thread is funny. I feel like we are misunderstanding each other and a simple level.
Mine and I think Kumo's point is anything that doesn't equate to lost time when broken down isn't an actual death deterrent.
That being said lets look at some examples and see if there is some actual deterrent to some ideas purposed. If my character is level 20 and dies not loosing anything but now since he died isn't able to get past level 30 until completing a quest what death deterrent is there until level 30? I know you just made that example up on a whim but lets examine a more polished version of it and see 1. if there is a deterrent and 2.if that deterrent doesn't equal time lost.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xeleem Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:40 am

The loss of time itself is a motivation NOT to screw up, to play your cards right - that being said, a bit of common sense can be used. I.E if it's a bit laggy you might want to reconsider that Condor's trip, or if your healer dropped out when you go spelunking in Krust, you should probably back off. Or waiting until you have the extra cash to buy those Gate scrolls for Balor reinforcement. Sure it sucks when you lose exp. and you start to question why you play, but all the doubt is dispelled when you're in a group and you're pulling your weight, and you actually achieve something, like securing Mithril for your crafters, making those +5 stat boosting items, and the +5 weapons. Who knows, there might be other achievements, other than pwning Emos and raining on Dra'Gem's parade.

too long; don't read: it's all good. Anph has always had xp loss, it should always have xp loss.

Xeleem

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:34 am

Mine and I think Kumo's point is anything that doesn't equate to lost time when broken down isn't an actual death deterrent.

I'm pretty sure everyone understands that - it's the direct way of going about it that is frustrating.

Straight up XP loss is absolutely no issue to someone who's played through to 40, and has some time on their hands.

It is an issue to people who don't have the time, or aren't that familiar with the module (There are a bunch of places that people can wander into and die. Not to mention every boss is extremely strong compared to the surrounding creatures)

Some people would prefer if they died and lost nothing aside from attributes and the ability to gain xp for X minutes. This way, if they didn't have much time, they'd still feel they accomplished something. However, death remains as unnatractive as the current system.

I'd personally rather xp loss be straight up and static, because I have large chunks of time to play and I know I can gain more than I lost after a death, pretty quickly. However I can completely understand why other people don't like this system as they lose more, comparatively, than I would.

Giving people a choice, to reflect a preference or situation would be great.
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhine Jive Click Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:49 am

anything that doesn't equate to lost time when broken down isn't an actual death deterrent

1. if there is a deterrent and 2.if that deterrent doesn't equal time lost

If no one sees how this is circular, I don't know how this thread is even a discussion.

To answer, though: how the examples are deterrents is that they, in one case add to the challenge of continuing to get to level 40, and in the other case, since getting to level 40 is the goal of grinding, it puts an obstacle in the way that isn't sheer loss.

Rhine Jive Click

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3