Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Population problems, reasons and measures

+12
-Rabidus-
Scrambles The Death Deale
Bastion
Rugnarie
DM Sage
Felix
Rann Cora
J. Persinne
Vladimir
TheeVals
-terenee-
silbador
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Population problems, reasons and measures - Page 3 Empty Re: Population problems, reasons and measures

Post  J. Persinne Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:52 pm

It was a fine suggestion, but lacked stimulating qualities. Next time, try seasoning it with equal parts feeling and controversy.

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Population problems, reasons and measures - Page 3 Empty Re: Population problems, reasons and measures

Post  -Rabidus- Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:41 pm

I started reading this and saw all the xp moaning, and then stopped, i personaly left because of the amount of afkers and RP just seemed to die out, sure you can stay and RP but when there is only a small amount of people doing it then well, it's not so great, i'll admit to begin with i was all for getting to 40 so i could PvP, and im not really pointing any fingers at anyone for why people are quiting, im just throwing my views out there and saying not everyone left because of the XP

I enjoy PvP when it is a big mass of numbers, which after a while also died down, which made PvP less attractive to me, i would come back to this server, as i enjoy it and the players that i played with here Alex Myra Fred.. dare i say it.. Radoc? Razz i've nipped on a few times, and seen one, maybe two active people in Cleaven, this could jsut be my bad timing, but that is what puts me off, lack of active Players, Role Playing Players.

Not having a moan and i dont wan to cause any more arguments i was jsut putting my views out there

-Rab

-Rabidus-

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Cleaven is pretty much dead whenever I am at my computer. It keeps me AFK. You should get on when I'm on Rab... Roger needs someone to help him plant shrubberies. Laughing

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  -Rabidus- Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Haha you don't know Than Druin... do you Very Happy i cant imagine him doing that lol

Meh i want to play again, but it's just really dead and i can't get into it Sad

-Rab

-Rabidus-

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:33 am

Thank you everyone who chimed in and gave their 2 cents.

Myra I can see how it could be a bit confusing. Let me try and clarify. The staff wants to cater toward the player base as a whole and wants active feedback from our players to make changes. However if a minority of players want something to change and must have it their way then it may be better for them to find another server that caters to what they see as must haves. I believe this is what Sage means. This point is obvious and personally I don't like repeatedly reminding people that they can play else where because it can be easily misunderstood as us saying leave. Some people who have invested time here will always want to change the server to suit what they like best. Its a natural tendency and its perfectly alright to do. What I am not very fond of is when a minority doesn't get what they want and then they get upset and act out. The best way to get something changed is to be politely persistent and amenably logical with the support of others.

Rann 4 times the server xp seems a bit much. Perhaps we could increase the server xp for returning the relic a bit more. On Moths when the relics were implemented the server could be up for a few days. Now that we have scheduled 23 hour resets it seems an increase wouldn't be a bad idea.

Myra I like the idea of being able to complete a quest to regain some of your death loss xp. I wouldn't want it to be an obviously always choice however. Maybe offering the quest to characters once per reset or having it take a significant amount of time so there is still a decision to be made of whether or not to do it.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 am

Ever hear the phrase, shoot for the moon and if you miss you'll land in the stars? That's why I went with 4 times. Very Happy

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:38 am

Also, I think the biggest problem plaguing our server at the moment is that every time I go to log in and AFK while I'm at work or asleep, the server doesn't exist. It's hard to have a high population when the server doesn't exist at all. Unless Genesis has transcended existence and now exists on some ethereal plane... but that isn't good for high population either.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Sage Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:03 pm

Felix wrote:However if a minority of players want something to change and must have it their way then it may be better for them to find another server that caters to what they see as must haves. I believe this is what Sage means. This point is obvious and personally I don't like repeatedly reminding people that they can play else where because it can be easily misunderstood as us saying leave. Some people who have invested time here will always want to change the server to suit what they like best. Its a natural tendency and its perfectly alright to do. What I am not very fond of is when a minority doesn't get what they want and then they get upset and act out. The best way to get something changed is to be politely persistent and amenably logical with the support of others.

Very well stated Felix. Player feedback is imperative to the succes of any PW server. Suggestions and constructive criticism should be welcomed. But there is a difference between offering ideas and input ... compared to becoming overly emotionial, accusatory, and borderline offensive. If it gets to that point, you should probably sit back and take a breath. If that doesn't help and you are still burned up over an issue that isn't being resolved the way you see fit, you need to consider other options; which is why I suggested trying to find something that better suits your needs.

I'm interested in ways we can overcome the AFK'ing issue. As someone suggested, maybe a slight increase in PvE XP coupled with the doing away of timed XP works. Are there other suggestions?

I'm also a fan of DM's handing out appropriate XP to players who are rp'ing, but that is limited by a DM actually being on and witnessing said RP. Perhaps players can nominate other players who they witness promoting RP. After a player has received X amount of nominations, a RP XP bonus is given. Again, this type of program is subjective and can be taken advantage of, but with certain guidelines to work within could be beneficial.

DM Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  sl1ckw1lly Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:48 pm

I used to play on a server called astoria 2. On that server, present DM's who were aware and watching others RP would randomly hand out RP Tokens. These tokens offered a #% bonus to all exp gain, when a certain ammount of tokens were gained, IE 10 tokens, the said number of tokens would then be turned into an EXP ammount returning the exp gain back to normal.

I think this is a positive and very suitable notion compared to raising all EXP for power gamers and power leveling. This will allow characters who put fourth the effort to role play to earn their award for RP and in turn gain more EXP based on their quality RP. This will promote RP and enhance gameplay for those who desire more EXP.

In order for this to be a suitable fix, that means there needs to be sufficient DM acknowledement to distribute tokens as people are conducting said RP. On another note - these "RP Tokens" can be used as an award for partaking in DM led events and storyline plot as well.

I also believe it would be beneficial to throw in some type of EXP award for PVP. Player kills could be worth EXP based on a +5 -5 ratio. Given you kill someone 5 levels lower than yourself you get a very minimal 50 xp with a kill of a +5 being 500 exp, settling on 250 for a same level kill. +50 and -50 xp per level.

- This is not saying that if a level 5 lands a lucky strike on a lvl 40 and somehow manages to kill him he gets 1750 xp, i mean its capped at 500 exp.

Just an idea.

sl1ckw1lly

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Sage Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Good suggestions. I've seen RP tokens used on other PW's. In theory it works well. However, it all goes back to DM presence and availability. Players that play at a time when DM activity is low are at a disadvantage. That's why a player referral program for tokens can help support the idea. I'm not sure of the ease or feasibility of scripting increased XP gain per the number of tokens one posesses. Maybe J can answer that. It would certainly be easy to award XP when turning them in.

Not sure how I feel about awarding XP for pvp kills...

DM Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  sl1ckw1lly Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 pm

When I bring up adding PvP EXP, the intent is to bring some type of award to hunt down the opposite faction. Axfell and Cleaven are sworn enemies, it would give some more incentive to actually hunt Axfells or Cleavens aside from just raiding the forts for relics. I personally enjoy PvP and think it would bring a lot more incentive to conduct raiding parties.

As for timed EXP, if this is done away with there will have to be a new benefit to raiding eachothers fort for the relic. Perhaps a lump sum EXP for those who participate in the raid, typically only those who are online at the time it is accomplished, would be more beneficial.

The most I hear people complain about is the EXP which is why I think adding the tokens would be the best way to calm the notion of adding more EXP in general. Earn your extra EXP through good roleplay and participate in DM lead events. If its more EXP you want then you should take time away from grinding to play with others in a roleplay atmoshpere.

sl1ckw1lly

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:19 pm

There is already an award for killing opponents in PvP.

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  Arataki Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:15 am

I tought I have a look once again. I like this server a lot but I still did quit playing because...........
My reasons were to less people playing my time, yes to many afk, not much rp and if any was playing they run to the gate often not even saying hello. People are to much occupied to level up to 40 and getting loot so they can equip there char. If it was getting difficult to run out alone they make new chars instead of getting a group together. Epic equipment you can get in shops so you don't have to go to epic level area's.

I say do something that encourage rp, teamwork and make a rule against invisible looting.
Arataki
Arataki

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:45 pm

Last edited by Isendel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I am currently inactive.

Sage has been busy for the past couple of weeks, though he intends to resume DM'ing "soon". Some people have jobs and families and stuff; RL happens.

Felix has been fussing around in the toolset with the intent of learning how to modify the module.

Talks have gone on behind the scenes in order to pull in more builders. There are no new ones assigned yet, partly because builders traditionally come from the playerbase, and there's admittedly not much of a pool there right now. We'd expedite matters if we could, but sadly, our "set half a dozen skilled builders on the mod instantly" button seems to be broken.

Nonetheless, since this discussion started, the damage that mobs deal out has been cut down to half in order to address solo concerns. I'm not sure what more you expect in that regard. To toggle the invulnerable flags on everyone?

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:26 pm

deorai_ wrote:not a single shred of movement or process came from all of these pages of opinions and commentary.
We lowered the difficulty of the mod because of the feedback we got.

Sage is busy IRL with work and may have some time in the near future to come back and continue his story line.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Last edited by Isendel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Last edited by Isendel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Linee353 Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:20 pm

i have been on. Just been away the last couple of days for vacation. I do expect to be more busy irl than I have been but I still hope to play once a week.

~M
Linee353
Linee353

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:30 am

I can't wait to see post saying "new areas built".
Then I will actually have something new on the server to go through. Smile
Thumbs up guys!
Rugnarie
Rugnarie

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 am

I'm back, in full action. Had alot too deal with IRL. But College has ended.
I've been working outta of the house lately so I have time to deposit into the server.
I can only hope others shall join in and RP with me. I'd love that. Very Happy
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Last edited by Isendel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:40 pm

deorai_ wrote: I of course noticed this was changed, now I can not loot chests in stealth and finding out caused my death. Now I do not know what I will do on the long nights with a lonely fort.
We made no such change. Read the change log.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Last edited by Isendel on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

deorai_ wrote:Even sitting around the fort roleplaying is good enough for me. We can not all play everyday, I know that I miss seeing some people that play different hours than myself and even I have been busier lately.
Please do not take my posting that I feel anyone is doing a bad job or trying to hurt the game, I know everyone has a life and obligations that come before a video game. In my short years playing NWN, this server has impressed upon me a enjoyment that I have not found elsewhere. If there is anything at all that we can do to get new players or reattract old ones I think we should be continuously proactive.

As all three of the real life friends I came to the server with have left for other servers I have not casually grouped much at all. It is hard for me to even try to go out and kill on my own because I fear the death too much.
I admit that in the absence of players on my days off I tend to spend time going deep to out of the way, high level zones and sneak loot chests. I realize that this is a bad thing and did cause at least 2 Axfells to leave. ** I consider it in-role to sneak and loot unclaimed treasure that is not inside my boundries.** However... if not for doing this I would not have gained any money or items for over a month. I of course noticed this was changed, now I can not loot chests in stealth and finding out caused my death. Now I do not know what I will do on the long nights with a lonely fort. Ivelliƶs will still be around but shortly after he reaches 40 I intend to level up necessary classes to aid my fort. Perhaps this new character will afford me new prospectives. I have been saving bags of the best loot I can find to gear recruits as I was equipped, now that I can not gain more I just hope that what I have will have the chance at a new owner that looks at it with eager eyes.

I do not want my revisiting of this topic to cause despair, we have a higher population, less lag and easier fights than we did a month and a half ago but this server is deserving of more players and I fear what few players we do have may become less frequent for that.
The truth is that it is those that left because of inactivity who have condemned those who perservered to a worse fate.
I look forward to the Axfell fortnight every time it comes up (this weekend!) but even that would be much better with more people. I want to be able to experience all the high level content that I have been unable to. I am very interested in the recent events with Sage's storyline. I hope he is well and returns soon.
I am asking for suggestions on what I can do to occupy and advance myself on this server when there is no companion available to play with. I am open to any insights. Thanks

AMEN
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum