Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum leveling help?

+8
Rugnarie
Felix
Rann Cora
Vladimir
J. Persinne
cybergrime
TheeVals
-terenee-
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Forum leveling help? Empty Forum leveling help?

Post  -terenee- Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:11 pm

I know that the consequences for death are great for a good reason, but in my short time here I have already seen someone leave the server because it was too hard to get ahead, obviously persistance is the final cure but I was thinking a fair middle ground would be a listing of what areas and creatures to hunt at certain levels, to gain peak xp for yourself. We can feel this out when we play but we have to experiment taking risk to undo what we have spent all day accomplishing. I also feel that this would encourage new players to learn how to get around the map and be familar with the areas surrounding. It would of course be optimal to have two different lists starting at the lowest level for each Cleaven and Axfell. Just a quick thought to throw out there, I may even be missing something that is already out there..
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Forum leveling help? Empty Re: Forum leveling help?

Post  TheeVals Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:03 pm

Couldn't this be an in character thing rather than an ooc thing?

I mean... tell recruits safe places to go as a certain guide to progression, can even ask the experienced warriors about certain places etc.
But havn't it all written down somewhere to check back to would be helpful.

Its kind of a surprized new players decide to go at it alone and don't think to seek out an ACTIVE non afk, higher lvl or any other player for help or advice.
TheeVals
TheeVals

Back to top Go down

Post  cybergrime Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:49 pm

I think I've made my own list a few times though a problem that may spring up is some CR ratings aren't really reflective of how hard or easy the place is and for what type of character build. For example the mage in Loriette Forest is pretty easy for melee/KD types but an RDD build may struggle - yet breeze through hordes of undead.

cybergrime

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm

I didnt really mean level of difficulty. That is useful to know as well. I mean the amount of xp you get, I noticed that we get less xp for a higher level creature and less for a lower, the most for a good fight. I just dont know when one will become less or when I could be going to a closer or easier place and get better xp there. There IS a best place to go at each experience level, it would just be an issue of finding a way to give this to the player or his character
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:21 am

Eh, here's what I do when I'm in a grinding mood:

Low levels (up to 15 or so) - no comment. These are all straightforward.
15-16 - Seris Island Hive
17-22 - Grand Forest Headlands
23-25 - Seris Island Bugbears
26-28 - Hope Canyon Vanguard's Keep
29-31 - Grand Forest Central, Iron Hold
32-36 - Mount Dragonwall (in Grand Forest Central)
37-40 - Condor's Scream - Tomb of Emos

Some of those might be off by a level or two, but that's the rough picture.

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Awesome, tis a good list, when I have been around more I will work on a more complete one.
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Vladimir Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:07 pm

i think xp loss on death when u are pre-epic should be much much lower.atleast half.

Vladimir

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:23 pm

You know what makes dying less harsh? NOT DYING.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:07 pm

Eheh. Were experience gain lower, I'd tend to agree. The early game ought to be forgiving.

I recently died as a low level (12ish) character, though. Then I respawned. Then I went back to get my gold, and by the time I'd cleared everything out 10-15 minutes later, I'd earned back all of my experience. How much easier do things really need to be?

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:10 am

Thing are easy with knowledge. If your new you need to learn from someone who seems like they know what they are doing if you want it easier. Otherwise its trial and error which = dieing lots.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:39 am

Really?

Even when I initially joined Moth's, I thought the low levels were pretty reasonable, and XP gain was lower there. It's not that I made an unstoppable killing machine. I was playing a dual katana wielding lore-focused mage/fighter/rogue. I also didn't have anyone show me the ropes.

Sure, I died lots. But low level stuff dies so quickly that it's absurdly easy to make back what you lose.

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:06 am

maybe I am doing something wrong, but I usually end my days on with less exp than I started and only make progress because I leave my character up to soak, I can kill mobs that are not easy, though not too tough for 4 hours at 20xp or so a kill, and a boss or two and make 2 or 3 thousand exp if I stay at it and be careful, this success is not typical however, then as is most always the case, I die at least once, losing thousands more exp than the hours earned me, just like that a whole days free time is down the drain. Maybe I just suck at NWN, dont know but it is not easy to make forward progress here in my honest opinion
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:20 am

Think easiest way to figure out how to play on this MOD is to play some plate mage or cleric/monk with high ac....
you got spells, summons and ac to save your arse.
After one character like that, you can start trying pure casters and what not because you know what to expect...

Also, your problem may be in equippment.
Rugnarie
Rugnarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:12 am

IT's most likely an equipment issue, spend some time getting to know people in your fort, mention your troubles and you'll almost certainly get given some things.
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Vladimir Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:37 am

vlad got a ring with 3 summon vii on per day from constrainer the first day he arrived.
without it i would probably found the mod too hard and left.
it is obviously a mod made for parties not solo.the summons help out and execute cmd makes life easier.

Vladimir

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:08 am

My allies have already given me just about everything I need. It seems to me that I have better gear than I should, I am a ranger/monk and have 44ac, more when buffed. I certainly require summons. I also feel that the mod is built more for group play rather than solo. I do not run around alone unless I must. Perhaps I am missing something I can do to be stronger, safer or get better experience, but it is extremely frustrating ending a day with retrogression.
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:08 am

Well, I'm stuck for ideas then!... Save get more people to hide behind! Smile
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:48 am

I intend to stick at it and certainly find people to hide behind when able, any advice at all would be most appreciated, as always. I do have a multiclass penalty which does not help and Axfell has been pretty quiet of late. I think I am going to learn a craft..
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  sl1ckw1lly Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

You should read Bibli Baru's Guide to Axfell! It's great when just roaming around the fort. Not to mention all the time I devoted in writing it Razz I will post it under RP as well.

sl1ckw1lly

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:08 pm

yea, another 4 days on Anph Genesis has lost me 30 thousand exp netting about 12k earned, i'm only spinning my tires here. No disrespect to those whom have formatted this ratio but the rewards do not nearly compete with the consequences of death, which is often completely unavoidable. I enjoy the RP here on the server and look forward to a fruitful time here, but I do not get higher level and every day I am more and more compelled to simply never leave the fort.
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 pm

o.O
lol. you remind me of Tel Marketh...He kept dying to everything, at most insane occasions....Like Boss Swamp elemental destroying outer gates and chasing him...(actually that one he survived, but you get the point) Very Happy
Rugnarie
Rugnarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm

When no one is around to show you where to go and how to combat the mobs than this happens. The fun part is that here even when you do know these things you can still die at times. PvM is very difficult here personally I like the challenge. With Alessio on to guide you a bit I guarantee your xp will turn around.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  silbador Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 am

I agree with the fact of the xp loss is excesive, and is not proportional to the level.

While the level grows, the xp penalty grows, BUT the xp gain is the same and is required more
xp to level up.
So the xp penalty is unbalanced respect the level.

For a lvl 8 or 10, is hard to die, but for an epic level hasn't name.

Graphic example (we will take 100xp by lvl to the example):
Level 8, lose 800 xp by die and another 800 at talking with the sphere. Total, 1600.
---> That is 16 impossible monsters, that with summons they aren't so impossible.
Level 25, lose 2500 xp by die and another 2500 at talking with sphere. Total, 5000.
---> That is 50 impossible monsters, and at this level the summons don't help.

In both cases, the proportion is a 20% of the xp of that level, but the monsters needed to regain
the lose is 3 times greater (and the difficulty too)

Edit: Now here starts the time/performance of the xp gaining XD. If we waste at lvl 8 15 minutes in
getting the amount necessary to cover a death, a level 25 needs 3 times: 45 minutes.
And the question comes now: if a char that go to hunt can't be alive till those 45 minutes (as
example), what we do with him? He will go back as the crabs, not everybody has powergamming pve
builds. And in the case of live hunting 50 mins, that char advance only the 2,2% of the experience
needed to level up. That is about 50 laps of 45 mins each one! is crazy!

Of course, not all the chars are in this case, and I try to help them when i see a build that is difficult
to level up. However, the game should be to enjoy, not to be frustrating

silbador

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:13 am

Don't use the orb.
Problem solved.
Rugnarie
Rugnarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vladimir Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

i think it should be hard.a sense of accoplishment is important.without it would be wow, where everything is just a matter of time, and aside from a few things, nothing is hard and its doesnt matter if u are there or not.
i like to play where its hard and where i can make a difference.

Vladimir

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next