Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

player list cessation

+4
Professor Plum
SnarleysAngel
Xeleem
Felix
8 posters

Go down

player list cessation Empty player list cessation

Post  Felix Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:02 pm

Kombat Karl wrote:I think a good fix is to disable the player list. Also blacking out the player list that you see when you first login, and being able to see everyone's build. This might sway new people from just joining the over populated side, and will most definitely add much more of a surprise factor.

Also.. it will make it much harder for people to counter log builds if that fiasco ever decides to happen.
Kombat Karl wrote:
could script a player widget that showed a text list of players online on your own faction and perhaps their player level. Sending tells can still be done with the /t "Karl" or /tp "Jameswest84"
if they aren't there, it will say "player not available" Very Happy
I think this is a really good idea as at the end of Moths when everyone had many level 40s counter logging was rampant and it did detract from the fun of the game. This would also add a new uncertainty aspect to the game that I think we would all come to like after a bit.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

player list cessation Empty Re: player list cessation

Post  Xeleem Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 pm

I vote for this alteration. At the very least we could trial it on the mod.

To me, it represents a means to stop players who look at the list, both on the character-select screen and in the game and think "Well, these people are on, they haven't got a chance." Because honestly, I'm sure there are some who do that. Granted there is a PvP element to the game, but you can still be IC with that. Your character would have no idea who is available to defend or not, so would you always take a small team knowing full well who is available? On one server, they've managed to disable the class and levels from displaying on the Login screen, so you have to find out IC what their builds are, guess their weakest saves (though that's not too hard these days), and figure out how they're going to respond. Keeps things from being pure mechanics and a bit of good old fashioned roleplay - which this server was intended for, yes?

Xeleem

Back to top Go down

Post  SnarleysAngel Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 pm

I am pro both of those changes... not seeing the other fort is kinda a bummer for tells and stuff that is ooc that is beneficial at times, but I think it would greatly enhance the IC part of the game.

As far as not seeing classes or levels of chars on the login screen I think that's pretty cool too and see no downside to it.

SnarleysAngel

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:19 am

Potential un-noticed DM note abuse.
Makes it harder for new players to get a feel for class distribution / build ideas.

Also, people will still know around what level others are, even if you remove the list.
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:02 am

Remembering ton of char names/player accounts is impossible for me and writing it down...meh.
Just for general laziness and being on the other side than the rest of players makes me vote no Smile
Rugnarie
Rugnarie

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 am

I'm fairly certain it's not possible to disable the in game player list, and even if we could, it strikes me as a patently awful idea. It'd be a real bummer to lose the ability to form and control parties at a distance.

Though the player list you see at the login screen is another matter, of course.

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhine Jive Click Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

good old fashioned roleplay - which this server was intended for, yes?.

The server, maybe. The module was made for PvP and powerbuilding. Which is where a lot of annoyance comes from, for me; the server's intent and the module it runs are almost antithetical.

*Jab, jab.*

Back on topic, though, altering the in-game list in any way would be unfriendly to any newer players, people who don't read the forums often, and people who are bad with remembering chat commands. The benefits don't really seem worth it, to me. I don't see what's wrong with blanking out the levels and classes on the login list, however.

Rhine Jive Click

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:02 am

I've no problem with it per-say, only that if you're going to lean towards the RP side of things, rather than the more noob-friendly practical things, you may as well go the whole way.

Disabling CR / buffs on examination should follow! Else you can tell what class and level someone is, just as easily as looking at the playerlist.
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Professor Plum wrote:
Disabling CR / buffs on examination should follow! Else you can tell what class and level someone is, just as easily as looking at the playerlist.

No thanks.

LordSurge

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 am

But then everyone can totally tell what build people have and roughly what level they are (At least threat) by examining others.

So what would be the point in disabling the list?
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  LordSurge Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 am

I meant on (NPC) enemies really.

On players is fine, though it would be nice if the 'Impossible' was still around.

LordSurge

Back to top Go down

Post  SnarleysAngel Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:11 am

KumoKumo wrote:it strikes me as a patently awful idea.

IMO it is definitely not that... and other than OOC convenience stuff I'm kinda anti-party, partly cause I take advantage of it cause I can and partly cause other people tend to flood the banks of my party irritability dam more often than I care to admit.

So in short: I'm a self-hating party abuser who hates on other peoples party behavior... I'm so maladjusted

SnarleysAngel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down