Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

State of the Server

+4
Dae_Blazin
Rann Cora
Whoisthere
OmegaChaos
8 posters

Go down

State of the Server Empty State of the Server

Post  OmegaChaos Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello everyone. First I would like to say that the new module being worked on currently is looking awesome. What we need to discuss in this topic is 1. What to do in the meantime and 2. What to do moving forward.

We currently are hosting the Anphillia Continuum Module with a paid for host at Jestservers.com. We need to discuss if we like the service and if we want to try and pay for it moving forward. WhoIsThere, if you could respond with a little info on how much it would cost to keep the server running and your experiences with them.

At any point during the time left on the current paid server, we will have enough content on the new module to roll it out and begin playing. However, in the meantime a few people here on the staff and a few other respected members have proposed the idea that we host Anphillia V3.8 on the current server until our new module is ready. Logistics would still need to be discussed on XP Rate, Starting Level, and Faction Availabilities. This would mean a fresh vault.

In order to keep this topic organized and manageable. If you could please respond in the following format, I would greatly appreciate it:

Paragraph 1: State whether you think we should keep the paid server or try to host privately and if you would be willing to contribute.

Paragraph 2: State whether you want to run Anphillia Continuum and keep things how they are or run Anphillia V3.8 and start fresh. Give a few reasons why you prefer one option.

This does not mean a wipe is imminent. This is an open forum to discuss our future.

OmegaChaos

Back to top Go down

State of the Server Empty Re: State of the Server

Post  Whoisthere Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:07 pm

Paid server runs till about April 20th.. Then the next billing starts, cheaper to pay quarterly at about $123.00 for three months of service ($41.00 a month).
I can say for sure I can do $20.00 a month if that helps people make a decision, I like having a hosted server, no worries about in home power and ISP issues..

What to host?? I think for now we could put Anphillia v3.8 (No overrides/CEP 2.4 only) on as is, let Dae do more work on the new one, only issue I have with putting new mod online early is the need for continual reboots for updates and keeping that communicated, best for now to host and test on a server that can be taken down as needed for building, as soon as it hits the public that would need to be kept to minimum.. No rush on the build just keep doing testing and building and get things the way you all want it.. FYI in my opinion on new mod, if you can keep the overrides to a minimum if you can none at all, they seem to cause a lot of issues to players getting them in and keeping them up to date, talking to other nwn players, they drift off if a lot of custom overrides and haks are needed to play, base CEP or ProjQ is what most would like to stay at..
If the new mod was just base CEP 2.4 then hosting the Anphillia v3.8 player vault could stay in place when mod is changed out..
Whoisthere
Whoisthere

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm not willing to contribute to paying for a host, but I think the host that is going now works well if there is enough money to keep it going.  And as long as it gets reset often enough.  Except for the fact that you can't access the DM Client.  Which you can do when I host, but my ISP still hasn't fixed the disconnecting issue so you know, meh.

As far as what mod to host, it really really almost doesn't matter in the slightest.  It's only going to be there until Dae finishes work on what's new.  It's so extremely temporary.  That's why when we found about about the UK posing as Raven situation I elected to just keep as much of the current vault as we could.  With such a short time frame, what's the sense in a wipe and starting fresh only to know that any work and effort you put into a fresh start is going to be null and void as soon as the new mod comes around?  I have pretty low motivation to play right now as is, starting completely from scratch again with the newness off on the horizon is going to wipe what motivation I have out entirely.  I could be the only person that feels that way however.  I also wanted Continuum initially with the doubled XP so leveling would be EXTREMELY fast so as to keep people entertained and to hopefully counter the fact that any work and effort put into the game is DEFINITELY going away in a few months.  (Decrease the amount of work to max out so it doesn't feel like AS much of a waste of time, you know.)  I hope that makes sense as to my logic recently with the decisions I have pushed.  As of right now my playing motivation is so low and I've been soothing the gaming itch in other ways, my vote almost shouldn't count.  But I do want to offer you my opinion on the matter and the logic behind what we have now.  As much as some people want a "level" playing field to start off and to not be behind those of us who have put in the work and who have level 40 characters fully geared and everything, I would caution against making everything new and wiping out what progress people have.  You potentially lose the interest and the hook of some of the more veteran players in the here and now, which could lead to those players missing or not caring about the new mod, or not even keeping up with it.  Plus with super increased XP, leveling is easier than ever.  Gold however, could be looked into.  If you don't grind ATS gold takes a considerable amount of time to accumulate.  But I digress.  I say whatever decision is made is temporary, so make the one that keeps the most people interested and hanging around until the new mod is ready.  My belief is the current mod with increased XP/GP gains to "level" new players and keep those of us older players around is the way to go.

Last edited by Rann Cora on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ERRORS.)

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dae_Blazin Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:48 am

Currently I am spending 0 time play the current one so most of my opinion on what to do is probly crap. But you asked so here it is.

Progress with the new mod is slow. Yes, it's being made, but at the rate of 1 person building. I have a two floor dungeon that is a veary basic dungeon crawl, and it took me nearly a week to hammer out the bugs. (which I still find now and then) Along with that, I'm trying add areas that if people join the test server they can still play with what small amount of areas I have. But at this point it's mostly scripting and desiding what the balance is, and seting up accordingly. Though there are a lot of neat features.

This stated, I think that people shouldn't just ignore what is going on now with the current mod because "it doesn't matter". It will take months to reach the point you can level up to 20 (which is when we desided to release the new one) and even longer to add content to reach level 40. I could push for making it happen faster, but I want to have good quality work over a quick new mod that is built like crap. Adding in sounds, making areas have a point other then where mobs spawn. Changing lighting to reflect the mood I want people to have in the area. Touches here and there that add life to the area. (I'm weird like that)

Now, when I say months. I'm not talking 1 or 2. I mean more like ten month to a year, and that's assuming the other people who offered to build are building as well. (though some of them have yet to contact me)
Dae_Blazin
Dae_Blazin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Paragraph 1: State whether you think we should keep the paid server or try to host privately and if you would be willing to contribute.

I think that we should do the option... paid server/private host... which works the best and is possible. I personally am unable to financially contribute, which makes me lean more towards returning to the free hosting option... so long as there are no lag issues or lack of dm-issues.

Paragraph 2: State whether you want to run Anphillia Continuum and keep things how they are or run Anphillia V3.8 and start fresh. Give a few reasons why you prefer one option.

I currently am not actively playing nwn due to being busy with studies etc. If i were to be more active I'd consider what would be lost from no longer using anphillia continuum vs what would be gained from switching to Anphillia v3.8. The simplicity and fresh start definitely is enticing... Smile

So if I had to chose, I'd have to go with the V3.8 module due to the possibility of having DM interaction, potentially more of a pure build player base, cnr.
TheeVals
TheeVals

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

#1. I like the paid host. I know that many people cant contribute like myself but I could swing a few dollars a month. If we had 20.5 players paying 2 bucks a month we could afford it!

#2. I vote for a scheduled battle over the relics to determine which server should be hosted in the mean time. If Cleaven captures the relic durring the time frame we keep the mod if Axfell does it switches to v3.8 I really think this is the most fun solution. A benefit of switching to v3.8 is that the player base as a whole will be able to have first hand experience with which Moth changes are liked and which we should do away with on the new mod. Also overrides are necessary for new spells and such. We NEED them in the new mod!
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sniqow Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Id be happy to contribute to the paid host.

Anph 3.8 is the kind of thing you don't run temporarily it's a very different animal from moths...

I'd only be up for that if it was for the long haul, seeing as we have a new mod on the way I'd say no.

sniqow

Back to top Go down

Post  Whoisthere Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:53 pm

"A benefit of switching to v3.8 is that the player base as a whole will be able to have first hand experience with which Moth changes are liked and which we should do away with on the new mod."

Have v2.0, v3.0, v3.8, v3.9 (The prewar - Razinton/Underdark Only mod) and v4.0 (When Axfell hit ice age with snow in fort-forts and areas all different, not the same look at all) then you have MothMan Genesis .. ahh the history, I have them all but I still think v3.8 had the best times and had the most players on it ..
Whoisthere
Whoisthere

Back to top Go down

Post  Wordack Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:27 pm

New mod on the way I only reinstalled as I heard the old server vault was back . But cant play my account anyhow whans the new mod up and much changes to classes etc?

Wordack

Back to top Go down

Post  Dae_Blazin Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:47 pm

That's a hard question to answer.

So far progress is going well, and we have areas from levels 1-5, and the first dungeon.
I'm working on Grand Forest, which is proving to be a pain the bottom. Mostly because I added CNR and I'm trying to find placement for all of the rescorces, though if that continues to delay things this bad I'll just end up skipping that and work on making it more level friendly THEN add crafting.

Our goal is to make areas for level 1-20 before we release the mod, which will get you up to the point you can join eather Axfell or Cleaven, since you start in Ranzington and must work your way up to joining a faction. The staff however seems to be torn on basicly every aspect it feels like. That could just be me though, since I'm the only one currently with the ability to do anything. I was going to make the areas then the staff was going to come in after and set them up and make them neat.

Still, if things keep going like this it will take a while to make it playable, since we're starting over and remaking everything, instead of just taking a premade Anphillia and adding to and modifying it. The areas will be all named the same, but everything else will be different.

The changes to classes and spells are not in yet. So far everything is default with a few extra spells added.

We've been talking about changing classes around and maybe even adding new classes feats or skills. But again, nothing is desided on other then some classes need "more loven"
Dae_Blazin
Dae_Blazin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down