AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Faven aka Undying Knight on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am

^^^ That is the easiest way that I can think of doing it and not having to switch things around.

Faven aka Undying Knight

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  OmegaChaos on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am

Agreed I really like that idea but it will be very unpopular. Although the amount of new players might be more than old now Razz.

Moth you are the expert, what do you think?

OmegaChaos

Posts : 82
Join date : 2013-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  LordSurge on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:48 am

RPDM Raven wrote: We could leave access right up to the INNER gates of each fort, and players could just ignore being in the lands of AXFELL/CLEAVEN.
Just change the Inner gate's keytag temporarily and give players both keys, have them start at Ranzington could work.

Afk experience doesn't seem to be a problem to me, and the /allclear or tell solution to the idle question works well enough. The severe death penalties are somewhat offset by the afk experience, so it doesn't sting quite as much at least. Why not increase rewards for those who are active rather than punish those who are afk, indeed?

Soloing is rough. Heavy death penalties make exploration and going out into the world much less desirable.[/quote]

LordSurge

Posts : 32
Join date : 2011-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  TheeVals on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:57 am

RPDM Raven wrote:Theevals, you thought way too much into my solution with the AFKing. Also, if the server was built for players to live off of the AFK exp then so be it, the solution I mentioned will never work then.
I was trying to be very clear with why I disagree with your ideas/solution. Please find the time to read it carefully and understand my concerns before waving it off as over thinking something 'simple'.

RPDM Raven wrote:nobody is being punished with my solution, its simple even, if you are clearly AFK for longer than 20 minutes((And again I will send a TELL to confirm it)) then I don't see that being a problem. It's more of a way to keep the server free from AFK'ers scattered throughout it.
The players who do not have nwn buddies to join in and be active will get punished by missing out on the xp. They do not have the time or method to go get it by killing a bunch of things. But they can still leave themselves log in.

RPDM Raven wrote:
The message that goes along with the faction XP is something along the lines of "You have been rewarded for something like "helping out your fort"((even though that isn't whats said, but you get my drift)) how are you doing anything to deserve that 200 xp which turns out to be 400 xp each time you get it since it happens twice when it is rewarded? All your doing is standing still. I'm not sure what the initial intention of the faction exp was for, but I could be almost certain it wasn't meant for players to make it there "easiest method of getting exp". Each fort has several bosses nearby it, so if your out of level range for the creatures that surround the forts then you could easily go out and gank some bosses and get more xp then the faction exp would give you. From levels 1-40 there's no way that the faction xp is the easiest form of EXP.
Reason why I reference it as easy is because it's the least amount of effort to get it... just log in and wait.

I don't think encouraging Boss killing is a good way to earn xp... especially if the character is higher lvl than the area.. and low lvls are around who might want to clear that area which was meant for their lvl range. But I got your point.. and  even since the update where boss xp was lowered then I think that 400xp is still more... Unless a player actively goes around boss killing along with the respawn rates.

RPDM Raven wrote:
It was just my solution for the AFK topic, and I believe in the long run when players got the drift of it, and logged in while they were able to play the game whether it be alone or with others and not just to stand still for hours on end to live off the faction exp that it might work. If every single person logged in ONLY when they were ACTIVELY playing and then logged OUT the minute they were no longer doing so then the server would only be full of people who were actively playing at that time.
Removing the faction xp might encourage players not to stay logged in while no longer playing. But you have your mind already set on favoritism towards active players vs players who can only be active solo or switch to the active side. If they are determined not to be prevented from being able to access the server and remain online.
I still think placing this requirment is a big mistake because of the external factors.

RPDM Raven wrote:
I don't know of a server out their, or one that I have ever played at, where the intention was to stay in game, AFK, for hours upon end. If you don't wanna play the game ALONE, then log out, check back later to see if players are around, don't ruin the game/ ROLE PLAY for other characters who are trying to play it.
From another perspective one could see the player complaining about others who are inactive, and wanting them removed from the server, being the one actively ruining the game for the afk players. Who are no longer permited to stay on the server and get the same amount of auto-xp as them.
If (low level) cleaven players are so concerned over axfells being afk.... why?
How would it improve their game play with 0 opponants ever online?
If the few.. (1-2) axfell players who is/are currently active... is/are concerned over fellow axfells being afk... obviously it is because they rather not have to solo...
How would them soloing change their gameplay to not soloing with 0 team mates ever online?

I never consider that my being afk.. ruined the game.. or roleplay of others, and I do not appriciate that you are implying that  the time not only I spent afking.. yet many other players have spent afking.. was game ruining or rp ruining.

I can understand how it might ruin the game in the sense of needing teammates, yet their lack of playing can make them unrealiable. However... It would be the same case even if the teammates in question logged in less.. the only difference is.. when/if those team mates return.. they're set back.. as opposed to if they were to have stayed online leaching auto-xp, over time still gaining lvls.


Last edited by TheeVals on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Obviously high lvl cleavens would be concerned for lack of pvp...)
avatar
TheeVals

Posts : 341
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Sitting infront of a Computer.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  OmegaChaos on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Guys I think were getting away from the spirit of the discussion. I don't think Raven is trying to take away from the afkers. He may have sounded that way but his intentions are true I think. All we want to do is improve rp. TheeVals you are in no way hurting my experience I'll tell you that right now. All I am suggesting is we think about trying to improve everyone's experience. I just think if we combined forts then I would get to rp with you more and maybe all of the activity would make you want to play more with us Smile. Afk xp is still a positive thing and doesnt need to be removed.

AFK xp can stay.
No need for a wipe.
Why can't we just combine forts manually. We're all creative. I'm sure it could be rp'd.

OmegaChaos

Posts : 82
Join date : 2013-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  TheeVals on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:08 pm

^-^ lol I'd make a cleaven to join in on the activity... brush up on the rp and finally make use of nwn for the creative outlet it's always been meant to be for me.....

Razz but then Felix might switch to axfell.. Laughing Wink 
avatar
TheeVals

Posts : 341
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Sitting infront of a Computer.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Faven aka Undying Knight on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Well it seems you might still be over looking my initial point, and which I might be as well, If you are not playing, then you should just log out, why stick around just because its the easiest EXP to get without having to put in effort? Your just contributing to the initial problem were having here, lol Smile



I gotta get ready for work now, i'm running late, be back around the forums late tonight!

Faven aka Undying Knight

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Rann Cora on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm

RPDM Raven wrote:why stick around just because its the easiest EXP to get without having to put in effort?
Because earning 3-4k XP per night I sleep or during the day while I'm at work might be the only way for me to gain XP at a rate even CLOSE to someone that has more time to play than I do.

Then again, they could AFK too...

Rann Cora
Admin

Posts : 270
Join date : 2011-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  sniqow on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Good point, nwn is old, anph is old, older than any game I play. I am also old and I'm pretty sure most of the anph demographic isn't in college anymore.

sniqow

Posts : 145
Join date : 2011-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Felix on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Disclaimer: I don't normally read long posts so I will try and be as succinct so people will read mine.
The idea of afk xp being bad has cropped up every once in a while. I believe it was Moth's genius idea in the beginning and it played a large part in the mod being so popular and surviving while others died off. The only valid reason I see for people being booted for afking is if the server has reached its max capacity and players who want to be active can't log on. Whats worse than new players logging in to see a bunch of characters afk? New players not logging in at all because they see so few are logged in.

I think if we did make an afk area it should be one off the beaten path that new players can't easily find to see. Twisted Evil What often happens is by the time new players realize how many are actually afk they have invested time and have come to enjoy the mod and stick around regardless. The other issue I have with booting afk players is loosing your combat log and tell history. Its nice after a long afk to be able to come on and see messages from other players and see whom killed who in relic attempts.
avatar
Felix
Admin

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2011-02-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Felix on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

sniqow wrote:Good point, nwn is old, anph is old, older than any game I play. I am also old and I'm pretty sure most of the anph demographic isn't in college anymore.
You would be surprised. When I was hosting there was a player who wasn't born yet when NWN came out ;p Also a few old players who recently came back were in middle school when they first played Anph back in the day.
avatar
Felix
Admin

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2011-02-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Faven aka Undying Knight on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:06 am

Felix wrote:Disclaimer: I don't normally read long posts so I will try and be as succinct so people will read mine.
The idea of afk xp being bad has cropped up every once in a while. I believe it was Moth's genius idea in the beginning and it played a large part in the mod being so popular and surviving while others died off. The only valid reason I see for people being booted for afking is if the server has reached its max capacity and players who want to be active can't log on. Whats worse than new players logging in to see a bunch of characters afk? New players not logging in at all because they see so few are logged in.

I think if we did make an afk area it should be one off the beaten path that new players can't easily find to see. Twisted Evil What often happens is by the time new players realize how many are actually afk they have invested time and have come to enjoy the mod and stick around regardless. The other issue I have with booting afk players is loosing your combat log and tell history. Its nice after a long afk to be able to come on and see messages from other players and see whom killed who in relic attempts.
Good points Felix, I completely understand. Atleast my dramatic suggestion got other good ones! Smile hehe

Faven aka Undying Knight

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  sniqow on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:43 am

What about free XP in the temple and everywhere else gets you booted... You can go for the free XP the temple but run that risk of being killed while afk. Also giving more insentive to attack...

sniqow

Posts : 145
Join date : 2011-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Felix on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't think killing afk players is a good incentive. Even those who would delight in it at first would soon get board with it after the first few times. Its just not fun fighting an opponent who doesn't fight back.

Though I often thought it would be fun to have some Axfell/Cleaven towns people that would run and scream as they are killed once the opposing force has entered the outer gates. A sort of killing and pillage that could be done.
avatar
Felix
Admin

Posts : 1253
Join date : 2011-02-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  TheeVals on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Razz afk-effy killing, unless the few afkers are betwen 30-40.. then it would just be afk-killing.

I can see a few funny rp's playing out now...

This might keep my posts short enough to be read... hopefull?:
Char 1- "Hey.. if there aren't any plans to head out somewhere I think I'll get to work cutting all of these gems we just gathered."

Char 2- "No I'll be heading off duty soon, wait why are you heading towards the gate? The jewelers is over that way."

Char 1- "Oh... I prefer to cut all my gems by the gleam of the relic and company of the honourable militia guarding it. Matter of fact, couldn't hurt to get a few tables, anvil, forge, and furnace in there so that I can take care of all my tasks there."

Or...

Char 1- "Hey want to relax by the fire for a bit while we wait for so-and-so to return before we can head out?"

Char 2- "Nah, the fire place is really dull"

Char 1- "We could wait inside the tavern, get a drink. Only 1, of course, got to keep focused in the dangerious place we'll be heading to."

Char 2- "A drink sure does sound like a good idea, but let's grab them to go and wait inside the temple, The chairs there are way more comfortable than these logs and the tavern's carvings."
-------------------------------
It's kinda funny now that I'm speculating different ways players might find excuses to go to the temple during gameplay time where there are no adventures resulting in gathering xp... xD
avatar
TheeVals

Posts : 341
Join date : 2011-02-28
Location : Sitting infront of a Computer.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFK/ACTIVE IDEA

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum