Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadowrun Returns

3 posters

Go down

Shadowrun Returns Empty Shadowrun Returns

Post  sniqow Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:36 pm

After a good 6 hour binge I'd have to say Shadowrun Returns is one of the better games to come out in 2013.

Don't go in expecting AAA features like voice acting and cinematics, and if you won't be dissapointed. The initial campaign showcases very good artwork, storytelling and plenty of side missions and bonuses to keep you occupied.

It is however very theme park and if you're looking for a true shadowrun experience, play the tabletop game. If you want a cyberpunk reboot of baldurs gate set in the shadowrun universe than try it out.

I'm left with the feeling that a real effort was made to make something authentic, and not just a cheap attempt to cash in on an intellectual property making Shadowrun Returns the exception to the rule with my view of modern games. I hope that going forward this game is seen as the backbone to a franchise that they'll expand upon.

For me though theres the huge glaring elephant in the room downside that is lack of any multiplayer or DM mode. Shadowrun online will have multiplayer but I don't see anything about DM mode, and the level editor is not as user friendly as NWN's.

I'm hoping there's a progression similar to what Bioware eventually did by releasing neverwinter nights. Heres hoping Shadowrun online is to Shadowrun Returns as Neverwinter is to Baldurs Gate...

sniqow

Back to top Go down

Shadowrun Returns Empty Re: Shadowrun Returns

Post  Umbrae Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 pm

I have yet to have time to really get into playing Shadowrun. I really like the combat system, but it definitely feels like an indy game. The save feature could use some work which I think they are working on, but it is certainly a solid $20 game. Honestly I was hoping for something a little more grand with the promises during Kickstarter, but it seems fun to play and starts in the morgue like any Shadowrun video game should. Smile

Hoping to get more into it once I get some projects out of the way at work.
Umbrae
Umbrae

http://www.thedarkisle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  unknown_user Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 am

Shadowrun seems like it is going to be a good investment in the same way NWN has been for the past 10 years or so. At least, that's why I preordered it. Really like the setting. Game is a little slow but that's due to this laptop's bronze age specs. Not quite finished the campaign. I think a good plan is to just keep checking the workshop until some amazing campaigns/stories are finished and polished.

unknown_user

Back to top Go down

Post  Umbrae Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Yeah, the editor is fantastic, so I am hoping for good community content. No multiplayer will always have it fall short of NWN though. Wink

Of course, as a Kickstarter backer the broken promises of a DRM-free game by the developer was really disappointing. They did not mention that their DRM free version was a special blessing from Microsoft (who owns the Video Game license of Shadowrun) for only the initial game and one round of DLC. Some community content will work, but most will be Steam workshop only. All they needed to do was be open about this, but they held off until the games delivery. Doubt any further Kickstarters will work out for them.
Umbrae
Umbrae

http://www.thedarkisle.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sniqow Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:44 am

If they delivered on their promises we'd all be rounding up for Cyberphillia... no not that kind of cyber.. lol

sniqow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum