Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any insight would be welcome

5 posters

Go down

Any insight would be welcome Empty Any insight would be welcome

Post  Rann Cora Sat May 18, 2013 6:57 pm

So 2 things I'm kinda at a loss for.

Everything seems to be going great hosting, everything seems stable, few lag complaints, except for when something weird happens like my power goes out.

There are now TWO exceptions.

1) Some players, on crash, the server has problems detecting if they have actually left the game or not. When these players log back in, it says their character is already in use. Sometimes, this is simply fixed by booting their name from the server list on the server client. Sometimes their original name doesn't appear and it requires a reboot, but at any rate, I have no idea on how to prevent this from happening.

2) Since today's power loss, Timothy no longer shows up in my character vault. His .bic file is still under the proper folder in servervault, however when I try to log in, he doesn't show up. I've tested a few things, such as moving Timothy's file to a different one of my logins, adding another character to ImmigrationDude login folder and it seems that the server just doesn't want to recognize that Timothy is a character. Very odd, and again, no idea what could cause that or why it happened in the first place. Also curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

So, any insight into either of those things, would be welcome.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Any insight would be welcome Empty Re: Any insight would be welcome

Post  Rann Cora Sat May 18, 2013 10:09 pm

Currently the client keeps crashing repeatedly as well. I just turned it on without using NWNX2 and it seems more stable.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 12:14 am

SO, I think... THINK... I've stopped the crashing. Should be back to stable long lasting greatness. I think this was just karma for me saying that we'd been running great so far, the Gods of Neverwinter Nights just gave me a big F YOU .......

Well I was going to write a triumphant post but while typing this it crashed again. GRR. Back to the drawing board. And by drawing board I mean I'm going to sleep and turn it off for the next several hours and hope it magically resumes working when I wake up. SO FRUSTRATING.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 am

Been up for about 30 minutes now with no crashes... cross your fingers I fixed it.

Now if I could figure out how to make Timothy appear in the character list...

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  akleja Sun May 19, 2013 8:47 am

Not only Timothy gone...
My little Zara is gone as well Sad

akleja

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 9:04 am

That makes 4 people, please PM me the account and character name.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  unknown_user Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 am

Damn very unlucky, wonder what happened to make it unstable -- who was the old expert?

unknown_user

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 9:22 am

It worked well for about an hour this morning, then when I left my chair to get ready to go to work, it has now crashed twice during that time. I'm about to leave for about 7-8 hours to go to work, I've made a few changes to my system power settings that I was thinking might have been a cause, but I am still curious as to why I didn't have to change them before. Hopefully that worked, cause if it crashes again, I can't do anything for awhile.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMothMan Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 am

Which OS are you using?
TheMothMan
TheMothMan

Back to top Go down

Post  batteryburn Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 am

sirswitchblades char is also missing

batteryburn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 1:47 pm

I am using Windows 7, running all programs in compatibility mode for xp service pack 3 and with admin rights.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMothMan Sun May 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Rann Cora wrote:I am using Windows 7, running all programs in compatibility mode for xp service pack 3 and with admin rights.

If you can run the Server Program and NWNX without Compatibility Mode, it would be better.
The Compatibility Mode is needed to draw graphics (in the case of NWN at least), which shouldn't be needed for the Server Program.

In short; don't use Compatibility Mode for anything but nwn.exe unless you have to.

I hope this helps!

-TheMothMan
TheMothMan
TheMothMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Taking it out of compatibility mode and starting it up now, seems to work fine so far. Any insight into the missing characters Moth? As I said, they ARE in the server vault, the game just seems to not recognize them.

If Moth or anyone else doesn't have a way to fix them, everyone that is broken will just gets a free rebuild, and I'll do my best to give you ATS and gold close to what you had.

I'm off work but I'll be out of the house for a few more hours after I start this up without compatibility mode on, so again, cross your fingers!

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheMothMan Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Rann Cora wrote:Taking it out of compatibility mode and starting it up now, seems to work fine so far. Any insight into the missing characters Moth? As I said, they ARE in the server vault, the game just seems to not recognize them.

If Moth or anyone else doesn't have a way to fix them, everyone that is broken will just gets a free rebuild, and I'll do my best to give you ATS and gold close to what you had.

I'm off work but I'll be out of the house for a few more hours after I start this up without compatibility mode on, so again, cross your fingers!

I never encountered this problem before.
All I can think of right now is to download a program called Leto, which lets you modify Bic-files.
Maybe if you open the file there, change something trivial (like adding a space in the character description) and then saving it, it would reconstruct some of the missing data. Assuming that is what's causing the bic-files to not load in the first place.
A lot of assumptions made here, but worth a try at least.
Make sure it's the 1.69 compatible Leto.

Good luck!

-TheMothMan
TheMothMan
TheMothMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Turning off compatibility mode was no help sadly. I am back at my computer for the next few hours, I'll play around some more see if I can't find an answer. I'm beginning to just take shots in the dark at this point though.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 pm

It looks as though with no one logging in it doesn't seem to be a problem. It has yet to crash with a player password on it. I wonder if it's with a specific person trying to access their character that it is causing the crash. It also seems that the files of those missing characters will not be recoverable. They will not open in LETO at all, I think they are just corrupted, and probably lost forever. I can revert them to a previous version, but the previous version of Timothy is from 5/15, and anything gained from that point is gone. I will do my best to compensate for these losses since it's not anyone's fault. Timothy is currently playable again after this switch. I am doing the same to the other characters, and I will use what's missing from Timothy as a guideline for reimbursing everyone with a broken character. Thanks!

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum