Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Area Design : Tactical Insertion

+2
Skaldic
Dae_Blazin
6 posters

Go down

Area Design : Tactical Insertion Empty Area Design : Tactical Insertion

Post  Dae_Blazin Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Hey guys, this question is for Moth Man.
So I've been half-ass diligently sorta working on those areas. Question And when making the mobs I was wondering if this server has some form of rules as far as what mobs can have (perma-hast immunity to mind exc) And allso, I know some mobs drop what they carry, how dose anphilia deside that, as I don't want some of the higher soldiers to drop there too good items?

Now for all you other blokes.

When I was designing the new areas I was coming at it more from a tactical stance then an online game. The initial area into this new set of areas is small islands one of which has a fort on it. The whole reason you must travers from island to island is because of a harsh reaf around the area that partly sticks out of the water, so a boat is out.

The fort is built with the edge of the walls parralel with the cliff face, the only two ways in, are from the drawbridge. And the back entrance, which is here your trying to get to.

Now, from a tactical standpoint I have a few things I'm thinking. You can send a rogue or other such sneaky bastard to climb the wall, sneak over, and open the gate.
You could rip the drawbridge down thanks to NWN fail mecanics. Evil or Very Mad

How else would you go about invading an island castle? While there are indeed dumb answers, I'd like actual thought out plans more then "duh, you flys over them walls har har har!" well that is not going to work as you cannot fly in NWN. But things like setting up a ladder if you can figor out a way to cross the twenty meter gap first, as the cliff face is probly a good 100+ meters tall.
Dae_Blazin
Dae_Blazin

Back to top Go down

Area Design : Tactical Insertion Empty Re: Area Design : Tactical Insertion

Post  Skaldic Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 am

Skaldic wrote:Open Lock - Add one more gate to the Forts' areas which would have DC 100 lock and enemy faction could actually get in.

I made a suggestion close to your idea in the Abilities you never use topic.
I like your ideas!

Skaldic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dae_Blazin Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:27 am

Oups, forgot to say that one. The gate is actualy a 75DC. I don't make doors that can't be opened somehow. I find it tacky. Even if it's a minor area with nothing it in...
Dae_Blazin
Dae_Blazin

Back to top Go down

Post  Skaldic Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:51 am

75 DC is not enough, because:

gloves, belt, amulet, rings, potion and various random loot items with +open lock and possibly bard song can get you to max 50 skill points easily.
+12 ( or more if you're a dexer) from DEX modifier

gives you 62+ open lock. Meaning everybody with 10-20 open lock skill points could unlock the gate.
Such feat should remain available only to dedicated characters who take epic skill focus etc.

But that's just my point of view. Smile

Skaldic

Back to top Go down

Post  DeathWarding Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:15 am

Skaldic wrote:75 DC is not enough, because:

gloves, belt, amulet, rings, potion and various random loot items with +open lock and possibly bard song can get you to max 50 skill points easily.
+12 ( or more if you're a dexer) from DEX modifier

gives you 62+ open lock. Meaning everybody with 10-20 open lock skill points could unlock the gate.
Such feat should remain available only to dedicated characters who take epic skill focus etc.

But that's just my point of view. Smile

I second
DeathWarding
DeathWarding

Back to top Go down

Post  unknown_user Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 am

Where are you getting +62 OL from? Does every PC have 22 unmodified DEX? :O I think my AC just sky-rocketed. Concerning taking 10-20 points in Open Lock... wow that's news to me. Feels like a waste!

@ Dae
If I was roleplaying... probably earthquake or shapeshift into one of the forms with wings.

You could have a 'moving placeables' type puzzle or an underwater area that requires special breathing gear and some mysteries/traps in those areas.

unknown_user

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Presuming you take 20.

You only need 55 effective skill.

Which is achievable with one point, even if you have 8 starting dex.

1 (Skill) + 5 (Dex) + 50 (Bonus Skill Cap) + 20 (D20) = 76.

Ergo any character with the right gear can hit 76.

Not factoring in +12 Thieves Tools, of course - so any character can actually hit 88.
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Skaldic Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 pm

What he said!

a) Completely forgot about take 20
b) Had no idea thieves tools count above the 50 cap...

Such a noob I am! Smile

Skaldic

Back to top Go down

Post  Dae_Blazin Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Wow, I had no idea lockpicking was so easy on this server. I'll have to rethink how to make it harder. But thank you.

Steley wrote:If I was roleplaying... probably earthquake or shapeshift into one of the forms with wings.
That was my first thought. An air elemental, for shifters, but NWN nulls that out since you can't fly, ass well as an earthquake bringing the thing down.
Steley wrote:You could have a 'moving placeables' type puzzle or an underwater area that requires special breathing gear and some mysteries/traps in those areas.
I like that. Would be hard to make it reset, since I don't want this to be a one go per reset area. I'm gonna look into it, nice idea.
Dae_Blazin
Dae_Blazin

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 am

Stick with puzzles and secrets to make it interesting.

High magic worlds don't have 'challenging' areas otherwise - you'll go insane attempting to balance PvE to do so!
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Dae_Blazin Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Professor Plum wrote:Stick with puzzles and secrets to make it interesting.

High magic worlds don't have 'challenging' areas otherwise - you'll go insane attempting to balance PvE to do so!
Hehe, you know, I cannot agree with that more, even though I think I got my mobs too strong... Basicly the landing zone should be able to be solo'd with a level 30+ character. What is sad-face-ing me is I don't know what sort of damage output classes can do, since when I test this I don't have the spell modifications with Willow, or know what items a fighter/cleric would use.

I built a solid fighter and thew on base NWN items, with DR(Damage Reduction), DR(Damage Resistance), +AC, and +Ability stuffs. But if anybody fought her on Anphillia they'd probly end up dieing right after killing her from laughing so hard, and have her and Willow as she is now (23) run the areas. I've meet a few deaths in the outpost, but that is more do to retarded AI then hardness. (at least I think you guy's wouldn't stand against a wall and be shot to death with arrows from the mob 3 feet behind you.)

I'm just using nwn items and a few I know that exsist to try to get this figored out. Since I've never been to the desert I don't know what is out there.
Dae_Blazin
Dae_Blazin

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Well, the high-end NWN items are probably more powerful.

But if you factor in all the funky buffs etc, then we're running over 9000 here.

The two main approaches are "Easy but long - e.g. loads of soak, dr etc" or "Get unlucky/roll 1 and you're dead". The first is preferable, but neither are exciting!

Making it interesting, would be awesome... furthermore having something that made some sense Lore-wise would also be awesome! I love plot lines!
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Think about what's prominent on the mod you're designing it for when you're doing this.

For example, when the Wolfs and I made Iron Hold, I was responsible for some of the critters down there, most notably the Iron Hold Master. At the time, plate high AC mages were all the rage. There were 3 or 4 on Cleaven and several more on Axefell as well. (This was before MothDC.) So I made the Iron Hold master to be ESPECIALLY dangerous to plate mages. He should punch through premonition, he casts timestop catching you flatfooted with all that dodge bonus AC, then comes and punches the hell out of you before you can react, also being fast enough to run you down if necessary. He also should have the elemental resist to ignore your damage sheaths, which if I remember correctly stacked at the time. He ALSO should have fairly high SR so without first casting a mord's spell plate mages should struggle to breach it. I wanted it to challenge our current player base at the time, without being impossible. He would be far different if I designed him now.

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down