What is ethical?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is ethical?

Post  -terenee- on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am

One way Cleaven may have gotten a decent player surge is inviting new logins to a group and coercing them to make a Cleaven character. The same Cleavens are making Axfell's and running around attacking AFKers and looting the shared chest. Maybe it was playful recon but it certainly was not role played. I do feel at this point that these tactics should be curtailed as I am finally in agreement with Axfell having less active capable PVPers.

I can blame myself for the loss of at least one capable Axfell when I expressed distaste for that player playing both Forts actively he said he would stay on Cleaven side, I do not regret this but others may disagree.
-terenee-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is ethical?

Post  Professor Plum on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 pm

If you could send some proof to me, in a PM, appropriate measures will be taken.
Professor Plum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Skaldic on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

...Seriously?

Skaldic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:29 pm

I am not looking to get anyone in trouble and I did not document anything

I am more just asking questions..

-terenee-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Isendel wrote:The same Cleavens are making Axfell's and running around attacking AFKers and looting the shared chest.

Not looking to get anyone in trouble...? No no and no... please please tell me you're joking.
Screenshot and report.. You reporting them doesn't get them in trouble.. their actions do.
Thats not playful recon... don't let this be on the server by lack of action.

So far the worse I've seen from a new player is the use of 'Cya' in rp. So I simply explained to them that others might find it extremely annoying and they should try to keep ooc to a minium. (Previous server was pure pvp, can't blame them.)
TheeVals

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 pm

To me that would be intolerable. If I knew of someone exploiting that, ESPECIALLY attacking AFKers I would call for them to be banned.

Now this is not to say we don't all have our moments where frustration gets the better of us and we do something stupid... but on the Cleaven side there has been nothing close to anything that should cause that level of frustration.

Also, I've seen a LOT of seasoned and great RPers use cya in RP. I have no problem with this nor do I care and neither should you. Their character is saying "see-ya" out loud, a phrase I've uttered IRL to my friends who knows how many times, and if you don't want to type it out and would rather use cya, that's not a problem.

Rann Cora
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Rann Cora wrote: Their character is saying "see-ya" out loud, a phrase I've uttered IRL to my friends who knows how many times, and if you don't want to type it out and would rather use cya, that's not a problem.

Only reason i corrected them is because i know at least 1 person who shudders at silly character names, and I'd bet they'd shudder at internet chat slang. as well as 'Smile' instead of *smiles*.

Telling a new player how the server is... and possible things to expect is better than ignoring them.
(Better they get a pleasent suggestion from someone than a rude criticism.)

I'll care about what I want to care about, thanks.
TheeVals

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 pm

I am offended by the use of vulgar language and brash humor, but that is an issue of tolerance that we must come to terms with.

Often times our fellow players do not speak english as a first language and may not as understand as intimately the subtlety in our common short-hand.
-terenee-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 pm

Your level of tolerance is your own problem.

If you play on side where Lawful, Neutral and CHAOTIC EVIL aligned characters play, you shouldn't expect paladin-like behaviour...

To this day I don't understand, what was wrong about taking a sh*t into a chest, leaving more sh*t randomly on the ground and protecting own wealth (setting about 10 epic traps, leaving there ~300 000 gps and a written warning about protected money).

Instead Shaco got killed (Inteligent magistrate using no subdual mode, buffing for nearly 4 minutes and then killing a guy who he had problem with and who just stood stealthed by a table) and banished. That's what you get for trying to RP.

Just trying to point out, you're not an angel yourself.
Rugnarie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:03 am

Lol, it was fun RP!!

Good times.. I should have used subdual, but you had been workin on pissing people off for awhile (In character!) You successfully RP'd and got what was coming to you.

You are right, I am no angel, I have many flaws and short comings
-terenee-

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 am

Since there's no ill feeling here, cool!

However, as a blanket rule, please don't kill someone around NPC's of your own fort and expect to get away with it next time - regardless of how annoying someone is IC!
Professor Plum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

Professor Plum wrote:Since there's no ill feeling here, cool!

However, as a blanket rule, please don't kill someone around NPC's of your own fort and expect to get away with it next time - regardless of how annoying someone is IC!

In this instance why couldn't/wouldn't the magistrate kill a grossly insubordinate soldier? Its hard to understand the degree with which Shaco can be "annoying" if you have not been privy but it boarders on IC harassment. Its sort of a gift that player possess ;p But in hind sight thinking about how that interaction could have gone better subdual and some slow torture would have been fun as long as Shaco was RPed realistically and not enjoying the torture/ throwing feces.
Felix
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:07 pm

It doesn't matter anymore...
We've gone completely off topic. Smile
Rugnarie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Well there are a few reasons, but mostly they boil down to acting silly in front of NPC's, without a DM present to oversee! I have no problem with people doing this, provided their actions have consequences.

For example:

I'm pretty sure the captain of the fort would want to maintain discipline in fort. (Not great for an army to have no discipline)

Murdering people for insubordination is likely to leave Axfell short a few soldiers. (Not great for the fort)

Dissent in the ranks - what if NPC soldiers, feel the magistrate could murder them at any time? (Again, not great for the fort).

Subdual and imprisonment is another thing. I'd like to think that captains of both forts would rather someone be imprisoned, trialled and executed, even if it is a rigged trial, as oppose to being outright murdered.

While it makes logical, IC sense - it also protects players OOC'ly. Another particularly rude player IC (Someone new for example), might not take to kindly to being killed, just because their character is rude.

(In fact, personally I don't think any mechanically violent end to an RP situation is justifiable unless both parties agree OOC'ly before hand)
Professor Plum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Professor Plum wrote:For example:

I'm pretty sure the captain of the fort would want to maintain discipline in fort. (Not great for an army to have no discipline)

Murdering people for insubordination is likely to leave Axfell short a few soldiers. (Not great for the fort)

Dissent in the ranks - what if NPC soldiers, feel the magistrate could murder them at any time? (Again, not great for the fort).

This server has it's own unique creative spin off of the module's storyline/setting. Meaning; Players aren't playing soldiers in an army at war.

I wonder why anphillia has never been more strictly realistic in roleplaying two armies at war. Instead we try to get as close as possible.. because.. there is a lot of differences between a player's character... and a npc.. often ic the npcs are refered to a militia.. or some seperate section of the 'army'. At least the assault ones...
TheeVals

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 am

Then my point is only amplified?

A mercenary, a trader etc. that is simply residing in the fort will not even be spared a moments thought if they attack a militia member.

Also, someone who's not part of the army is not going to be a council member.

If you were to attack the NPC trader in fort, on the flipside, for example - you'd make everyone in fort hostile to you. Which again makes logical sense - so because a player in your fort is not part of the militia, that is no excuse to attack them.

From a captains point of view, they still need to keep discipline in their fort. Also, they can't murder traders that bring them supplies.
Professor Plum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum