Anphillia Continuum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum leveling help?

+8
Rugnarie
Felix
Rann Cora
Vladimir
J. Persinne
cybergrime
TheeVals
-terenee-
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Forum leveling help? - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum leveling help?

Post  Vladimir Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

Rugnarie wrote:Don't use the orb.
Problem solved.
u r without doubt the most pointless poster on this forum.ever.

Vladimir

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:03 pm

I do prefer a challenge, and I do not mind dying. It is dying three or four times in a day and only gaining ten percent of what I lost. I play everyday, at least a few hours, still I went a week and half leveling from 19 to 20, then to 21, back to 20, back to 21 back to 20. If I just leveled right up I would not feel like I earned anything, but stagnation during diligent work is extremely frustrating. That being said...
Alessio did give me very helpful belts that have already saved my life and other Axfells multiple times, he also filled me in on the best spells to use and equipment to utilize. More importantly he brought some of us having a hard time around and showed us what to kill and what to beware of, we did die on our hunt but we gain much more xp than loss, most importantly we had a blast and worked as a team. I'm not leaving this server, you guys are stuck with me and I appreciate the support all of you have given me here and in-game.
I know that it all comes down to grinding down and watching my health meter (I confess Ivelliös does flee when he must). I still do intend to compile a list of areas and creatures to hunt begining where Bibli's book left off. In due time I hope my frustrations will alleviate others through the advice I can offer them.
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Rugnarie Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:05 pm

V wrote:u r without doubt the most pointless poster on this forum.ever.
Ouch...lol.

Yeea. I was actually trying to help the guy out. That orb is useful only in certain situations....Like dying at condors while your fort is under attack or when -absolutely- nobody is around. Without the orb xp loss, the death ain't that harsh.

But if it makes you happy, I will just stick to posting at Music topic, while you continue making your "useful" posts Wink

Rugnarie
Rugnarie

Back to top Go down

Post  Professor Plum Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Vlad, please refrain from personal attacks - it makes you look like an arse... and ironically you've just won the award for the most pointless post ever.

Silb, you're ignoring the fact that is -should- be tougher to level as you get higher. As well as the fact the mod is very heavily team based.

Ivel, gear is great - but a party of people is better. There are builds and entire classes that can level up to 40 solo, quicker than anything - most builds can't, however. If you're on when noone is about your level, that can and does suck - I've been on the receiving end of that myself. However, don't lose heart! You'll get there eventually and be more proud of your accomplishment!

Lets also be honest here, anyone who "doesn't mind dying", is just plain lying. Wink
Professor Plum
Professor Plum

Back to top Go down

Post  Vladimir Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm

damnit!forgot to use a smiley.again!

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Laughing

Vladimir

Back to top Go down

Post  Rann Cora Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:42 am

AFKing is a good way to level up. By the time I get home from work today and end my 12 days in a row of work, I'll have gotten a level 14 character with only about 2-3 hours of actual playing.

As an alternate to AFKing, RPing for extended periods works too. You still gain XP with no risk of dying... that is unless the person you're talking to becomes angry and kills you. Shocked

Rann Cora
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:23 am

Rugnarie wrote:Don't use the orb.
Problem solved.

I read this and interpret it as;
When the server resets, characters in fugue are alive again. Very Happy

Really, why would anyone above lvl 25 orb? (with the exception of a lvl 40 with xp to spare.)
Considering that the loss of xp is steep at that lvl and orbing to get back out there and kill things will not be enough time to recover what was lost, twice.
It just seems to me that anyone who consiously decides to be impatient and orb at a high level has no one right to complain about the server's setup of xp loss.
Its a gaurentee that they most definitly wont be able to be productive enough to gain back all of that xp before the day ends. So the only alterier motives I see are crafting and rp. If no one is active enough for you to get a raise, there probably isn't much rp that your missing out on. And ATS in all its glory will still be there tomorrow.
--So I hope no one is orbing and crying about the penalties. xD

Also its good to add, sometimes apon death corpses mysteriously show up in fort instead of the spot they died... (unless this has been resolved?)
-and fugue gives auto xp, but not everyone cares to leave nwn open for hours and not even play it.

--------------
I recall reaching lvl 21 with an alt, by simply switching and afking whenever i would go and sleep. (back when I was playing 24/7) Ranger-monk build, so fighting things solo wasn't really an option. If i would have played that alt more often it would have probably reached about lvl 25, mostly on auto xp and potential outings with others.

I can't really emphasize with xp loss on death and how much it is a pain. But then again I've had a lvl 40 with enough safe xp to die around at least 10 times before being in danger of deleveling and i still tried to avoid dieing as much as possible. My playing style has always been on the safe/cowardly side.
Avoiding death for me is more of a principal 'i don't want to hear that loud screeching sound i get when i enter the fugue!' thing rather than a 'keeping xp' thing. Neutral
TheeVals
TheeVals

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:02 pm

I feel that the low population of the server is directly attributable to the severe experience point loss on death. After losing 40 thousand xp in level 25, similar to my last 8 levels, I have decided that Ivelliös will no longer leave Fort Axfell unless it is to gather tradeskill components or raid Fort Cleaven, unfortunately I get bored easily and will probably go back out and suffer.. I have been geared very well and advised thouroughly yet I still lose tens of thousands every level, I am certain I have lost more experience than I have earned. Unfortunately while being an RP server, the low population and lack of mediums make strict RP very difficult but I would rather make very slow progress than working my tail off just to end up further than I started.
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  Vladimir Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:53 pm

lower xp gains (half the curent amount) and no xp loss on death (only on orb)?

ive died a lot with vlad.but to me thats a motivation to press on.i understand that not all peeps work this way.
and if your levels are stagnant (or even lower than before) i think its kinda lame.u should be awarded more for time spent online other than the 12oclock xp.
reward loyalty, not grinding determination.

Vladimir

Back to top Go down

Post  Felix Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Keep in mind Ivel is playing a melee character with an xp penalty due to class and perhaps a subrace? This is one of the toughest combos to play here.
Felix
Felix
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sl1ckw1lly Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:09 am

If you die you forget the most recent events leading up to when you blacked out, in other words, your most recent experiences. You need a penalty for dieing, otherwise no one would fear dieing and simply bull rush everything. You just need to be more tactically aware. Like Bibli... God that little gnome is just magnificent. He is a perfect example for my situation. He is very perfect and that is why I mentioned Archmage Bibli Baru the Magnificent. >Very Happy

Leave the fort in groups if you are heading out, even on bibli i wont go out if i absolutely cant help it without bringing someone else to die in my place. I mean bringing someone else to help die where I was standing.. I mean to help me out.

Carry heals, saintblood pearls or pots of restore, buy pots from ranz, and gr8er speed pots or ask your friendly mage god, Balaam, if he can supply you with some fancy wands.

sl1ckw1lly

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 am

sl1ckw1lly wrote: You need a penalty for dieing, otherwise no one would fear dieing and simply bull rush everything.

Lvl 40's with excess xp, pvp xp loss is halved, death + orb = regular pvm death. easy enough to grind for excess pvp-orb xp as a lvl 40. For the purpose of bull rushing everything without much care for dieing. xD
TheeVals
TheeVals

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:52 am

I think it has to do with prospective, I do not succeed like others, it is plain to see that some have no problem whatsoever with dying. I feel that it is that I am somewhat new here and do not know the server. From the beginning this thread has been about making it easier on new players so they will have more incentive to play. I love the mod and I have had the most fun I have ever had on NWN here when folks are on and active, but population just is not here for it. For me it is waiting twiddling my thumbs for a few hours, then find a group; I go out and die a few times, get some xp, come back wait a few hours, go out die a few times, get some xp, and even though I may earn 25k xp in a day I am ending it with just a few thousand than I started (or less than I started if the xping was not successful)
I truly hate being the crybaby here venting my frustrations, because all I really want is to succeed. I have been helped immensely so the only remaining theory is that I just suck at playing this mod.
It is clear that nothing is changing to help the new/low players, so I will just to keep my feelings on this subject stowed. In the mean time, I am only two of four players I came with that remains here to play, two others have given up and left, one to a pure RP server with a high population, one to a no RP server that is all PvP with easy leveling...
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  J. Persinne Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:56 am

I certainly sympathize with your frustration, though the server is designed to be very challenging; it certainly isn't for everyone.

There are a few areas that I feel could do with a bit of toning down, to smooth out some of the rough bumps. But by and large, I wouldn't expect any significant changes balance-wise.

J. Persinne

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Sage Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Like most here, I've been playing NWN for close to a decade. I've tried dozens of PW's and played consistently (months on end) on more than a handful. This particular module is by no means excessive in its XP death penalty nor in its difficulty. In fact, I've found it to be one of the easier modules to level in. I've played PW's that incorporated "perma-death", heavy XP loss, loss of complete player pack or loss of partial items. Outside of a completely PvP type world, it does not get much easier to get a character out of the early levels into the mid to high teens, especially with the insane amount of magic gear and summons available. True, it becomes increasingly difficult when you hit your 20's and party travel/hunting is preferred. But with proper tactics and patience, you can still solo. If your goal is to get to level 40 as quick is possible, I can see where you might have frustration. Level progression slows considerably as you move into epic levels. But I've never been a fan of rush to level 40 in a week or two type modules. For me, it's all about the long journey there and the sense of accomplishment when it happens.

DM Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  -terenee- Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 pm

To the contrary, since level 23 I have had much less problem dying, I am almost 30.
for Oldsage, that was an awfully long winded way to say that we had differing opinions. I have not been playing NWN for almost a decade and I am sure I do not have the experience you have with different servers. In fact I feel that this helps in the purity of my opinion, it is only the presence of Anphillia Genesis I have and the feel of the other players that tell me what is fast or slow, too much or too little xp. My opinion is based on working successfully in a group for six hours and earning 6 thousand xp, a nice chuck, I feel pretty good about that day's haul. Oops, someone trained a Massive Swamp Elemental to the Rustin Road line.. I die.. lose 5800 xp, my group is done for the day.. that means I might as well have not logged on, if I expected to move forward.
Once again I am sure with your surpassing experience you have learned ways to avoid such tolling deaths, I have not however, and my post here is for new players, not veterans whom have obviously already succeeded.
Also, my revisiting this topic was fueled not only by my own dying but friends I came to the server with, they have left because of retrogression. I have accepted the situation here and am staying.
This thread was quite moot, I regret posting it because though I was not flamed, most people simply advised me by saying .. 'What? Dont die!'
Clearly, if it were so simple, the subject would not be discussed. Alas, I have made my attempt to seek aid in vain and I consider this matter ended. for anyone else that agrees that I just suck at this module you can PM me to berate me directly
-terenee-
-terenee-

Back to top Go down

Post  DM Sage Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you are coming off immature. When you make a post on a public forum, you are inviting other people to share their point of view. Do not take it as a personal attack when people disagree with you. I read this thread and saw a significant amount of complaining. I found it quite humorous and ironic, specifically because the group of friends I play with recently picked this server to play on due to it's relative ease, class balance, and laid back player base.

DM Sage

Back to top Go down

Post  TheeVals Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 am

Sharing PoV on the topic is expected; passing judgment on an individual’s personality is unnecessary, please refrain.

Thread Locked.
TheeVals
TheeVals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2